Book Title: Handbook of Intensive Care Organization and Management
Book Editor: Andrew Webb
Publisher: Imperial College Press
Publication Date: July 28, 2016
Chapter Title: Design and Role of the Intensive Care Unit
Chapter Authors: Neil A. Halpern and Diana C. Anderson
- ICU-specific design is a complex process and requires a multidisciplinary team which includes both clinical and expert design-based professionals.
- The layout of an ICU is arguably the most important design feature affecting all aspects of critical care services.
- The core of the ICU experience is the patient room, conceptually subdivided into patient, caregiver and family/visitor zones.
- Central clinical support zones within the ICU act to bind the patient rooms and other supportive areas together, with the overall goal of supporting bedside care.
- Deploying advanced informatics into the modern ICU electronically integrates the patient with all aspects of care.
Link to Purchase Book:Handbook of Intensive Care Organization and Management